Collection Cart Program
New Residential Curbside Collection Program began on December 1, 2017.
- New Collection Carts – Recyclables, Yard Trimmings, Garbage/Food Scraps
- Motor Oil and Used Filters
- Used Cooking Oil
Collection carts for all single-family residences include:
- Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Cart (choose the right-sized cart for you)
- Blue Recyclables Split Cart*
- Green Yard Trimmings Cart*
- Kitchen Pail*
Your Blue Recyclables Split Cart has two labeled compartments: one side for paper/fibers, the other side for recyclable containers.
WHAT GOES IN THE PAPER/FIBERS COMPARTMENT?
Any recyclable paper that tears, including:
- aseptic boxes (juice, soup & soy milk)
- dairy cartons
- catalogs, magazines, junk mail & phone books
- corrugated cardboard & paper boxes (large/multiple pieces should be flattened and/or cut)
- newspaper (including inserts)
- shredded paper (contained in a paper bag or box)
- pizza boxes (please remove the food-soiled liner)
WHAT GOES IN THE RECYCLABLE CONTAINERS COMPARTMENT?
Glass Bottles & Jars
Aluminum & Metal
- food & beverage cans
- aerosol cans (empty)
- foil and scrap pieces (up to 30 pounds per item)
Plastics Labeled 1-7
- bottles, jars, tubs & trays
No Single Plastic Bags (please contain multiple bags in one bag, tie shut and place in the garbage). No Film Plastic, No Styrofoam, No Pressurized Tanks.
Your Green Yard Trimmings Cart is for yard trimmings and clean wood only.
Food scraps and food-soiled paper belong in the special compartment of your Garbage/Food Scraps split cart.
WHAT GOES IN THE GREEN YARD TRIMMINGS CART?
- flowers & leaves
- ivy & weeds
- grass clippings
- small branches (less than 6” in diameter)
- tree stumps (smaller than 16” in diameter)
- untreated dimensional lumber (less than 24” long)
Please Remember: No Glass, Metal, Styrofoam or Plastic, Aseptic Boxes, Liquid Fat, Oil or Grease, Pet Litter or Feces, Dirt, Rock, Concrete, Brick or Treated Wood
Your Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Cart keeps food scraps out of the landfill.
WHAT GOES IN THE GARBAGE COMPARTMENT?
Non-Recyclable Plastics NOT marked with 1- 7
- clothes hangers
- diapers & personal hygiene items
- foam and Styrofoam
- pet feces (please bag)
- plastic bags (please contain multiple bags in one bag and tie shut)
- small rugs & mats
- shoes, clothing, & toys (that cannot be donated)
- treated wood
WHAT GOES IN THE FOOD SCRAPS & FOOD-SOILED PAPER COMPARTMENT?
- You can use any type of plastic bag to line the Food Scraps compartment of your Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split cart and your Handy Kitchen Pail for use inside your home!
All Fresh, Frozen, Cooked & Moldy Food Scraps Including:
- peels, pits & rinds.
- dairy products.
- bread & pasta.
- coffee grounds & tea leaves.
- meats & bones.
- backyard fruit and vegetables.
Food-Soiled Paper Including:
- paper plates
- napkins and paper towels
- paper coffee cups
- paper take out containers
- soiled newspaper and kraft paper bags
The Handy Kitchen Pail. – Use it to store your food scraps until you empty it into the food scraps side of your Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Cart.
- Can be stored under the sink or on the kitchen counter.
- Line with newspaper, kraft bags, paper towels or plastic bags.
- Rinse with warm soapy water when needed.
Please Remember: No Organic or Recyclable Materials, Dirt or Concrete, Paint, Batteries, Fluorescent Bulbs, Poison, or other Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
For the Handy Kitchen Pail instructional video, click here.
Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Carts keep food scraps out of the landfill!
40% of food in America is wasted.
The City of Milpitas joins the cities of San José, Stanford, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara to sort food scraps. Over time, keeping food scraps out of the landfill/compost will help reduce environmental impacts-such as greenhouse gas emissions and odor.
Milpitas Sanitation will also offer Weekly Curbside Collection of:
Battery Collection: Place household batteries inside a clear plastic zipper-lock style bag (no car batteries allowed). Please tape the terminals on lithium and 9-volt batteries. Place the bag on top of (not inside) your Blue Recyclables Split Cart for collection.
Used Motor Oil and Filters: Contain used oil in a sealed 1-gallon, screw-top container* and filters in a sealed zipper-lock style bag*. Place next to (not inside) your blue recyclables split cart for collection. For more information about the used oil program click here.
Used Cooking Oil: Contain used cooking oil in a sealed 1-gallon, screw-top container*. Place next to (not inside) your blue recyclables split cart for collection. For more information about the used oil program click here.
*Free screw-top containers/bags provided by Milpitas Sanitation, contact us to order.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this information.