Setout Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Click the question or statement to reveal helpful answers and suggestions.
When did the new collection services start?
As of December 1, 2017 Milpitas Sanitation is your collection service provider for Single Family, Multi-Family and Commercial Customers.
Will there be a cart rental fee?
No. After December 1, 2017, there is no longer be a cart rental fee.
Is there be a Senior Low-Volume Rate?
Yes. Customers age 62 years and older can qualify for a senior low-volume rate (half of the rate for the Small and Extra-Small sized carts).
For new Senior Low-Volume Rate applicants, a form is required (form will be available at a later date). For a chart of cart sizes and rates, click here.
How do I choose my cart size?
Will I be charged for the Recyclables split cart, the Yard Trimmings cart and the Kitchen Pail?
No. The single family residential curbside collection program includes a Blue Recyclable split cart, a Green Yard Trimmings cart and a Kitchen Pail at no additional cost. For single family residential curbside collection program information, please click here.
I am a member of an HOA and my garbage bill is included in my HOA fees. Can I still choose my own cart?
If your garbage bill is part of your HOA fee (you do not pay for your garbage service separately yourself), your HOA will be managing the right-sized Gray Garbage/Food Scraps split cart sizes and distribution for your neighborhood. HOA members should discuss sizes/rates with their HOA management staff. Requests for services will be accepted from HOA Management only, not from individuals within these neighborhoods.
I live in a Mobile Home Park. Can I choose my own cart?
Mobile Home Parks have a unique rate structure and service menu. The Extra Small, Small and Medium Gray Garbage/Food Scraps split cart sizes are available for Mobile Home Customers. The Mobile Home Park rates are less than the comparable Single-Family Senior Low-Volume rate (Small and Extra Small cart sizes). Tenants should discuss sizes/rates with their management staff. Requests for services will be accepted from Park Management staff only, not from individual park tenants.
What/Where is Milpitas Sanitation?
Milpitas Sanitation is a partner company of Garden City Sanitation. Main office is located at: 1080 Walsh Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95050 Phone: 408-988-4500 Office hours: Monday – Friday 8am-6pm
Will I have to pay more? Do I have to use the new collection program?
- Rates are based on what size Gray Garbage/Food Scraps split cart you choose.
- The new rates reflect the services and programs required by the franchise agreement between the City of Milpitas and Milpitas Sanitation.
- Yes, you must use the new collection carts provided to you by Milpitas Sanitation.
- After a competitive bidding process, the contract for the collection of solid waste, recyclables, food scraps and yard trimmings was awarded to Milpitas Sanitation by the Milpitas City Council in November of 2016. New collection services began December 1, 2017.
- The new curbside collection program includes new CNG fueled collection vehicles, new collection carts and a kitchen pail. It also features four free on-call bulky item clean ups per year and used motor oil and cooking oil collection. The collection of batteries placed in a zipper lock style bag placed on top of the blue recyclables split cart is also provided.
- On average, 30-40% of the waste stream is food scraps and food-soiled paper. With proper sorting, Milpitas residents can reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill and help the City of Milpitas achieve compliance with the organics recycling regulations required by the State of California.
- More information about the State of California’s recycling regulations can be found at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov.
How do I minimize the odor/mess of separating food scraps?
We are allowing customers to use plastic bags to line their kitchen food scraps pail and the food scraps side of their Gray Garbage/Food Scraps cart to help mitigate the odor/mess of separating food scraps. Any type of plastic bag can be used. You can also use newspaper or a paper kraft bag.
What if I have a Recyclable container that will not fit in the Recyclable Container compartment of the Blue Recyclables Split Cart?
If the oversized recyclable container item cannot be reused for another purpose, condensed, or broken down into smaller pieces; please place the oversized recyclable container on top of your Blue Recyclables Split Cart on your collection day.
Do I have to use the new carts?
New collection carts are provided and are required as part of the new collection program that began December 1, 2017. There is no rental fee for the new carts. Click here for more information on the cart sizes, rates and what belongs in each of them.
Why Split carts?
Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Carts keep food scraps out of the landfill! 40% of food in America is wasted. The City of Milpitas joins the cities of San José, Stanford, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara to sort food scraps. Over time, keeping food scraps out of the landfill/compost will help reduce environmental impacts-such as greenhouse gas emissions and odor.
Does everything that gets collected get mixed up/end up in the same place?
NO, our special-designed carts and trucks keep the items in split carts separated during collection and transport. Click here for more information and a video showing split cart collection.
Where will our collected garbage, recyclables, yard trimmings and food scraps be sent?
- Collected garbage will be sent to Kirby Canyon Landfill located south of San Jose.
- Recyclables will be sent to the Green Waste sorting facility in San Jose for sorting/baling.
- Yard Trimmings will be sent to the Z-Best compost facility in Gilroy.
- Food scraps will be sent to SAFE pre-processing facility in Santa Clara. For more information and a video of what happens to your food scraps click here.
What happens to the collected food scraps?
The separated food scraps will be processed into an ingredient used in animal feed. For more information and a video of what happens to your food scraps click here.
What about the household dump days?
A residential On-Call clean-up program will replace the Household Dump Day program. Four (4) times a year at no additional charge, Residential customers can arrange for the disposal of up to 3 cubic yards of garbage OR one large/bulky item such as an appliance, large furniture item, piece of exercise equipment or e-waste item. More information about this program will be available soon