Publications & Resources
The following outreach materials are designed to help residential customers make the most of available programs and services. Print them from your own printer or order hard copies. Contact us to request hard copies.
- What Belongs in the Gray Garbage/Food Scraps Split Cart?
- What Belongs in the Blue Recyclables Split Cart?
- What Belongs in the Green Yard Trimmings Cart?
- What happens to my Garbage?
- What happens to my Food Scraps?
- What happens to my Recyclables?
- What happens to my Yard Trimmings?
- Reduce & Reuse, before you Recycle
- Garbage cart sizes/dimensions
- Searchable, color-coded listing of items that belong in each cart
- Street Sweeping Map and Schedules
- Single Family Residential Holiday Tree Collection Program
Newsletters & Postcards
- OCT – DEC 2020: Prevent Food Waste, Understanding Food Product Date Labels, Holiday Tree Collection Program, Manage and Dispose of FOG Properly, and Holiday Service Schedule.
- JULY – SEPT 2020: Thank You For Helping Us Provide Safe and Efficient Service, Summer Events Schedule, The City of Milpitas Virtual Recreation Center, See One of Our Split Collection Trucks in Action, Holiday Service Schedule, Keep Recyclables Out of the Landfill, Repair, Reduce, and Reuse Before You Recycle, Curbside Collections of Used Motor Oil, Cooking Oil and Oil Filters.
- APRIL – JUNE 2020: Proper Sorting Makes a Difference!, No Sharps or Hazardous Waste, Compost Giveaway Postponed, COVID-19 Announcement, Bulky Item/On-Call Clean-up Program, Service Reminders, Reuse Resources, Holiday Service Schedule.
- JANUARY – MARCH 2020: Recycle Right! Support the Sort!, Reduce Waste By Using the Handy Kitchen Pail, Collection Rates Increase January 1, Collection Day Reminders, Maintain Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms, Proper Disposal of Hazardous Waste, Holiday Service Schedule.
- JANUARY 2020: 2020 Street Sweeping Days
- October 2020 – Proper Disposal of Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG); and Street Sweeper Information.
- September 2020 – Bulky Item Clean Up and Street Sweeping Information.
- August 2020 – Street Sweeping and Website Resources.
July 2020 – Street Sweeping and Avoid Contamination in the Recycling!
- June 2020 – Street Sweeping and A Word About Cardboard.
- May 2020 – Street Sweeping and We Support Our Community!
- April 2020 – Street Sweeping and The Compost Giveaway Has Been Postponed.
- March 2020 – Reduce Plastic Pollution and Street Sweeping Information.
- February 2020 – Residential Service Reminders and Street Sweeping Information.
- January 2020 – Street Sweeping, Proper Sorting Makes a Difference!
For New Collection Carts and Proper Set out Tips click here.
For the Handy Kitchen Pail instructional video, click here.
For Pay as you Throw instructional video, click here.
For Single Family Residential On-Call Bulky Item Clean up Program video, click here.
Garbage/Food Scraps Split Cart Collection video, click here.
Split Cart Collection Program video, click here.
What Happens to Recyclables? video, click here.
What Happens to Food Scraps? video, click here.
What Happens to Garbage? video, click here.
What Happens to Yard Trimmings? video, click here.
General Waste Reduction, Reuse & Recycling Information
Donation / Reuse
- City of Milpitas Reuse Line -408-586-2680
- Goodwill Industries – www.goodwillsv.org
- Salvation Army – www.salvationarmyusa.org or 1-800-95-TRUCK
- Santa Clara County’s Center for Development of Recycling – www.recyclestuff.org or 800-533-8414
- Freecycle.org – www.freecycle.org
- List of Organizations In and Around Milpitas That Accept Food Donations
Gardening & Composting
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) / Electronic Waste
- Free HHW drop-off facility for Santa Clara County residents
- Find a certified e-waste recycler
- Asbestos Safety and Information
Earth Day Everyday